Sunday, November 1, 2009

Halloween

So Marijane's favorite holiday is Halloween, so we decided to have some fun. She and I went to a vegetarian restaurant for lunch/breakfast, and it was pretty amazing. It's behind a health food store, in garden with trees, ponds, and lots of plants. We sat down, and a really nice waiter came over, took our order, and came back several times to let me know that what I ordered wasn't vegan, thus giving me a chance to order something else. They apparently use eggs to batter a lot of their foods.

Since Halloween isn't terribly big here, it was exciting for Marijane that their menu was Halloween-themed for the day. She got witches leg in mole (which was a wheat-based fake chicken). We both got comida corrida (which means there are several courses for a flat fee), so there was salad, bread, veggies soup, the main course (I got tofu breaded with garbanzo powder, with veggies), and a pumpkin-like dessert. It was really pretty and quite enjoyable.

Then we headed to the fabric store so I could buy the last things I needed for my skirt, and Marijane bought some Halloween decorations. One the way back to our respective apartments, we stopped by Alejandro's and decided what to do for the evening. We decided to make some desserts and watch Halloween themed movies.

I went home and took a nap, and when I woke up, I talked to Marijane and Alejandro online, and it turned out trick-or-treaters were stopping by their apartments. I thought "oh no!" and ran to find candy. There weren't a lot of kids trick-or-treating, so I hoped I'd have enough with the bit of candy sitting around my house. But I guess since there weren't many lights on in the apartment, they decided not to knock on my door.

We went and got ingredients and candy and got to work. Alejandro told me he'll be visiting his family in michoacán in december and that I'm welcome to come visit him there, which would be cool! I made kettle-corn, and caramel, and Alejandro helped me. And Marijane and Alejandro cut up the apples. The kettle corn didn't turn out that well, since I was doing it from memory, and I decided to add salt at the beginning, but added way too much salt...making the sugar not even apparent. So I dipped most of the kettle-corn I ate in the caramel sauce.

Marijane and i had been planning on watching Casper, but Alejandro didn't want to watch that. We bought 9 (a Tim Burton film), and so watched that first. It was pretty interesting and made us jump at parts. And then afterwards, we watched Hocus Pocus, which I had never seen, but both of them had. We talked some during both films, and sometimes that really gets on my nerves, but it was enjoyable! Especially trying to figure out which number the beings had on them in the first film, as well as discussing strategies for saving the world in both films, and making interesting comments. By then it was 3, and i was exhausted. I went home and slept until noon.



Note on this last picture: so Alejandro told Marijane (who made this drawing), "That Witch looks like a Lizard." And Marijane said "I know, I used green." But I heard "lesbian" instead of "lizard." I was laughing a lot that night because of mishearings.

No comments: