Friday, August 21, 2009

Tanto pasó

So yesterday I woke up and got ready to head to school. I wrote down all the info for enrolling in classes, and headed to the Humanities Tower 2 to go to América Latina Hoy. It was a cool class! It's going to be a lot of work, definitely. We have to turn in reading responses each week, and also something talking about the country we choose for the semester, about an assigned topic. I'm writing about Boliva, and for next week, we have to talk about the discourses and theories around development. There's a midterm, and then there will be a final essay of 15 pages, 1.5 spacing. Grr to the 1.5 spacing.

The class was really interesting, and there was a student from Germany who I had met before there. We talked tot he professor afterwards, and he was really nice and helpful. He told us that if we had any interest in studying more about any topic, he could get us in touch with an expert on it. And that we could write the final paper in a combination of English, Spanish, and German if we wanted to. I'm so glad I went to that class. The only thing I didn't agree with was that globalization was simplified to a homogenizing force. I agree that that is going on, but I think part of what is dangerous is the way globalization can appropriate diversity etc. to make it complicit within the hegemony. But maybe I'll have a chance to bring this up in class in the future.

We got out of class late, and so I hurried over to the Tower of Humanities 1, which was where I was meeting Jesús to get the readings for the Construction of Identity class. I got there really late, but he was there because he was in class, so i decided to wait. Some guy came up there and was waiting too, and he said he needed to talk to his girlfriend but didn't have any minutes left on his phone. So I let him text her with mine. Turns out she's one of the people who was answering a lot of questions last class and seems to be really ontop of the reading. So now I have her number on my phone, and although it would be weird to text her sometime, if there's an emergency or something, I have it. I'll have to try to remember her name next class. She and her boyfriend hung out for a while. So weird to me to not be worried about class, but I guess that's how a lot of people deal with class in the U.S. too.

Jesús randomly came out to go to the bathroom, and said when he came back he'd get me the readings. Then Lisandra came into the building, and decided that it was too late to go to that class, but since she had a class afterwards, she waited too. We talked for a while. She lives like an hour's commute away with traffic, and was a vegan when she was a lot younger, but got pretty sick, so now she only eats chicken and fish. Then Jesús came back with the readings, that were all out of order. So I said I'd put them in order and he went back to class. Turns out there were 3 juegos (copies), so I ordered them all. And Lisa (I think that's her name; she's really nice and has talked to me a lot) brought me the other readings. I'll be reading lots of Foucault again this week. Then their class ended, so I got to hang out with everyone (and they all talked to me a lot. I got excited about becoming friends with them), until I headed to the School Services office to enroll in classes.

I had to wait in line for a long time, and when I finally got into the office, the person asked which classes I was trying to enroll in. They told me I couldn't take the Construction of Identities class, because it's in a new major, and there were no exceptions. Ugh! And that América Latina Hoy was full. So I was able to get a signature from the coordinator for Latin American Studies to say there was space for me in the class, but I didn't know what to do about the other one. I tried to call the coordinator for us UC students here, but she had already left her office. I ended up heading hoem quite depressed, and bought a lot of candy to try to cheer me up. lol.

Ayaka was having some friends over for a birthday party, and they offered me some cake, but of course I couldn't have it. But Rebecca and I hung out with them, and they were quite nice. They spoke in Japanese a lot, abut also talked to us in Spanish. Rebecca told me people were planning on going out later that night, and that sounded really appealing, so I said I'd go. Rebecca and I went to buy alcohol so that they'd have something to drink at our house instead of having to pay for the really expensive drinks at the club. Marijane, Rachel, Haleigh, and Ana came to our house and drank, and then after 11 we headed off to Mama Rumba. The taxi headed to a different club by the same name, so it was a long ride, since we had to turn around. I was sitting on Ale's lap, and there wasn't enough space for my head to be up, so it was kind of painful. By the time we got there I wasn't in the best mood and I was hungry.

There was a live band playing salsa, which was really cool, but since I can't dance salsa, it made it a bit boring. A few of us who were hungry headed over to a restaurant nearby, and I got tacos de nopales (cactus tacos). They were AMAZING! And then I asked for some tortillas afterwards, which end up being free (more food, and the salsa, guacamole, lime, etc. make them quite tasty). And I was still really hungry, so I ended up getting more tacos. yummmmm. We noticed a club next door that was playing more typical club music, and some of us eventually headed over there. It's silly that I end up having more fun with English songs, but it's because i like singing and dancing to songs I know. And I do like a lot of songs in Spanish, but I definitely know more in English. It was a lot of fun, and I danced a lot. When we got in, they had begun playing YMCA, and some other songs I knew quite well were "I Feel Like A Woman,"and a Grease medley. I enjoyed myself.

Heading home, there wasn't very clear communication about what was going on, and a lot of people got quite frustrated with each other. We had met Marciela, Mac, Oscar, and Ko at the club, and so everyone had a different way they wanted to get home, but no one really realized what was going on. So after some angry exchanges, we ended up taking several taxis home.

I got to bed between 3 and 4, and hoped I'd wake up early enough to do all the enrollment stuff today, since Friday was the last day.

I woke up at 10:15, and quickly brushed my teeth and headed for school. I called Veró (the coordinator for UC students) on the way, but she didn't pick up. I went straight to the office for the major that is too new for foreign students to take, and it wasn't open, even though its hours said it should be. So I decided to wait around, in case it opened up late. I got there an hour before it was supposed to close, so I started reading. Then people started showing up for classes, and so most everyone from the Construction of Identities class started hanging out. We all talked for a hwile, which was really fun, and made me even more want to be in the class. They all have all their classes together for their major, so they are all quite friendly with each other. I'm starting to get more comfortable with everyone kissing on the cheek as a greeting or when being introduced. While we were sitting on the floor, the professor for the Constructions of Identities class walked up the stairs past us. When everyone went in to start class, I decided to try to see if the professor had an office above us in the tower, to see if I could talk to her.

I had been hoping that I could talk to the coordinator of the major, to see if they could make an exception for me, but since they hadn't showed up, and it was the last day, I thought maybe the professor could help me out. My other thought was maybe I could say I was taking an independent study class, because the Casa de California can sponsor stuff like that, but then really take the class I wanted to. My last option was to not take the class, and maybe do an independent study class where I'd read and write about sexuality in México.

I told the professor what was happening, and she said I could just enroll in the class she's teaching in the Philosophy department, but take the class I wanted to instead, and then she'd give me the grade for the class I was taking. Yay! So I thanked her and headed to go check with Veró to see if I could do that. And I can, since the grades and course information go from UNAM, to her, to the UC, so we can put the right information in for the class as far at the UC is concerned.

So then I went and waited in line to enroll. It took forever, but I talked to someone who said that there was a vegetarian restaurant in the building. So exciting. And then after I enrolled, I headed back downstairs and ran into Ale. I hung out with her while she was waiting to enroll for a while, and then I went to try to get the readings from América Latina Hoy, which I wasn't able to get again. Turns out the German student isn't staying in the class, but I might be able to get the readings from her. I ran into Ko and helped him find the enrollment office, and hung out with Ale until she was done enrolling. And then she and i went to the veggie place! It's pretty cool. Ale thinks it's hipster, and I'm not sure if I agree yet. But the food selection today was vegan, and only 20 pesos (the other places I've been to with comida corrida (where you get a few courses, essentially) have been 35-45 pesos. And it's so convienet to my classes! We talked for a while, and then I headed home.

I was exhausted, so I took a nap, and then ate food, and read some. Alejandro came over, and he, Ale, and I talked about his FRP (field research project) and the world in general. Very fun conversation. And then Ale and I talked for a while after he left. I've enjoyed getting to talk to so many people and have fun, but I need to fit in homework time too.

Well, time to work on homewrok/cleaning my room. Tomorrow I'll need to go see Corazón del Tiempo, which is a documentary about women in the Zapatista (ELZN) movement. And i also need to go to the Supreme Court before Tuesday. Lots to do;hopefully I get it all done. Right now I'm reading a critique of art history for the Graduate class, and i already finished the pieces from the ELZN.

1 comment:

Dawn said...

I'm so glad the class will work out and the professor was so helpful.
1.5 spacing means a lot of words?