Wednesday, August 26, 2009

La Tarea es buena

Yesterday I went to my six hours of classes. I tried to come to the graduate class with stuff to say. The professor had to leave in the middle of class because the PUEG's (University Program of Gender Studies) director's mother had died. So then we just had a group discussion, which was interesting. But I didn't feel like I could participate, because there was even less of a facilitator (ie: none, instead of the professor, who somewhat facilitates). To talk, everyone was interrupting everyone else. I didn't feel comfortable interrupting (in Spanish, it's interumpir, so it's hard for me to type correctly in English, lol) anyone. Plus, I didn't understand absolutely every bit of what each person said. So I didn't want to add something and that I thought hadn't been said, but really had, or something like that.

I was pretty frustrated by the end because it seemed like people were making a lot of generalizations and not dealing with the texts we had been assigned. Towards the end, someone mentioned the feminist movement needing to include gay genders....someone else said that there can't be the assumption that everyone NEEDS to come out of the closet, and someone else said that there isn't one type of "gay"because otherwise it gets reduced to rich white male homosexuals. And that neoliberalism right now is really targeting the "gay market." I got to nod a bit there. yay.

Then I had my Social Theory in América Latina class. I hadn't finished the book, but neither had anyone else really. We'll get to have another week to finish it, which is good, because it would be useful to have a better grasp on Marx. We're supposed to come with comments and dudas next week. I talked with Miram some more, and she was quite nice.

After class i headed home in the rain and used the bathroom. By then it was late enough that I needed to take a taxi to get to my therapist appointment. It ended up costing about a US dollar, so seemed pretty reasonable. Then i headed home and Rebecca and i hung out and talked about musicals, and I made us a rice dish with spinach on the side. yum.

Today I was lazy and kind of depressed, so didn't start in on my homework very early. I sat around, just wanting to do something fun with a lot of people, but that wasn't really an option. This evening I went and had sushi for dinner, and got some reading done then. And I tried to find the book i need to read for Construction of Identities, but it wasn't in the 4 or 5 bookstores I asked in today. I guess I'll have to go to the library tomorrow and get it all photocopied...

I got back and started working on my reading response for América Latina Hoy. Then I started working on my report on the theories of development in Boliva (whose full name became el Estaso Plurinacional de Bolivia (the Plurnational State of Bolivia) this year). It's super interesting and I wish I had started earlier, since I'd love to read the entire development plan for 2006-2010 rather than just the introduction. If you want to read my essay, I can email it to you, and/or I could send you a link to this development plan if you don't feel like googling it. It makes me want to travel to Bolivia; it seems like some amazing things are happening there. My professor for Social Theory in América Latina has done lots of research there, so I should talk to them about it. But both of these assignments are due tomorrow, so I'd better keep working.

1 comment:

Dawn said...

I would be interested in reading your essay, though it would be in Spanish, oh. Too bad about the person's mother dying.