Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Puedo Estudiar?

Sunday i got up and started doing my homework. After a while, I got bored and had little motivation, and right then, Marijane texted me and invited me to her place to study. Perfect! I headed over there, and Marijane, Cat, and i studied for a while, and then decided to go get food. Felix, Marijane's roommate decided to come along, and Alejandro showed up just as we were getting ready to leave. We wanted to go to Watsy's Tacos (one of my favorite places, just across the street), but it's not open on Sunday, so we went to the Chinese place. It was fun, though the dea that people feel closer to people who do the same gestures as them kind of freaked me out.

Then we went back to studying/talking. I didn't get a whole lot done, but at least I had fun instead of feeling depressed. If I had just stayed home, I probably wouldn't have gotten much more done. At one point I said something about always using "imbricated" in my papers, so we talked about that for a while (aren't you glad dad?). And I spelled PTAGABIQQALK (Matt's nickname for me, although for short, there's PTAGABS). I stayed there until 1am, when I decided I should get some sleep.

The next morning, I started doing more homework, ran some errands, and then headed to Construcción de Identidades. It was an interesting class, and I made a point to hang out with people before class and during the break. I said a few things, including comment about essentialism, yay! The professor said that in the U.S. to deal with the sexism of always using "he" for everything, "she" is being used. She asked if anyone was aware of that, and looking at me, said, besides you, but I said that I hadn't heard of it. I was thinking along the lines of someone who identified as male using the pronoun "she," but now I'm thinking she meant using words like "herstory" etc.

It was raining as I walked home, but it's been raining a lot recently. I stopped at Watsy's and read there while eating for an hour or two, and then headed over to Marijane's to make sure she got home alright. (last week we had planned to walk home together, but then she had texted me saying she didn't go to class. so I wasn't sure if she had expected us to walk home this week). Then I decided to sleep and try and read in the morning.

The graduate class was pretty cool. There was a guest lecturer, who talked a bit about Queer Theory. We did some close readings of the texts we had. I had definitely missed some stuff, but luckily had gotten the main ideas. Of course, I made no comments during class, although I nodded my head excitedly when the lecturer mentioned Judith Butler and Eve Sedgwick. lol.

Then I went to the veggie place on campus, and got some food. It wasn't my favorite meal, but it gave me some energy. I hadn't had a chance to have breakfast this morning, so I needed something.

Then I had Teoría Social en América Latina. The presentations took up most of the class, and were confusing, since i hadn't made it through the texts. I had kind of given up last night and today, thinking to myself: I don't agree, it's really confusing, and if I get through the texts I won't remember anything. I told the prof that I had found them hard to read because of the language and style. I did have some things I was planning to say (about the author's understandings of power relating to Foucault's, about the causal effect not being critical enough, and that the author seemed to expect the sociologist to be in a privileged position in terms of knowledge, to be able to know someone's real motives that were unconscious for them...). Overall, the fact that it was written in the early 1900s made it a bit difficult, since it didn't have the critical lenses that are important to me, and I didn't catch the references.

After class I headed home, and Ale was feeling pretty terrible. I tried to help her feel better, but she supposedly had colitis(?). I hope she feels better tomorrow.

I called Cookies!!!! to say happy birthday (21). And then Peter and i used facebook chat to make fun of dad while we were talking to him. lol. sibling bonding. Now it's time to do some dishes and head to bed, before reading about statistics in América Latina and then writing a report on Bolivia's National Development Plan.

1 comment:

Dawn said...

We had a little rain yesterday, surprisingly, and thunder and lightning. It cleared out the air but not enough to make puddles. Can you use "imbricated" in Spanish papers as well?