Saturday, September 12, 2009

Tantos Postres

First of all, we've been eating some sweet stuff around here. We bought vegan frosting and cake mix, and have been eating them with spoons (adding soy milk to the cake mix, of course). It reminds me of being a kid again, and all of the stuff Peter, Kailee, and i would eat.

Wednesday I spent much of the day doing homework, and talking to my housemates and Rachel and Marijane. Rachel is staying at our house for like a week because she's moving, and one lease ended a week before the other one would start. My paper on Bolivia was about the way neoliberalism is or is not present in the national plan of development. Rachel and I went and ate Pozole (a type of soup) from a chain store up the street. We started talking to someone there, who is studying Spanish here and knows very little. They were from Stockton.

Ale watched the Incredible Adventure of Two Girls Falling in Love on youtube, and so I took breaks from my paper to watch my favorite parts. I stayed up until 5 or so, and then got up at 9:30 to edit and take a shower and such.

I headed to América Latina Hoy, after printing out my paper. I went to the room it's usually held in, on the first floor of the 2nd Tower of Humanities, but the door was closed, so I waited outside for a minute, since i was early. Then someone went in or out, and it became apparent that there was a conference in there. Another student from my class was standing around trying to figure out what was going on too. He asked someone, and they said the conference was going until 2:30, and our class was scheduled from 12:30-2. So we went up to the eighth floor to the professor's office. He wasn't there, but his glasses and a cup of coffee were in his office and the lights were on. we asked the receptionist if she knew where he was, and she made some calls, and found out he was in a conference on the third floor.

So we went there, and the other guy looked in to see if he was there. Then the conference started and our professor was talking. we had no idea what to do. Then another person from our class, Arely got there. We talked for a while. We didn't know what to do, and eventually went back to the first floor, where everyone else was waiting. And then around 1, we all went up to the eighth floor and had class.

I was pretty happy with the analysis that happened in class, because it wasn't just a population causes poverty view. During class, we got more information on what was expected from the assignments, and the professor suggested we make comparisons between countries. After class, I got Arely's email address and then the professor asked me to be sure to make comparisons betweeen the U.S. and Bolivia in my research. Which means I need to start doing a lot more research on the U.S., but also that I wish I had all my books and readers with me, since I'd definitely have useful info there.

Then i headed to the library and made copies of some readings, and bumped into Arely there. lol. Then I headed home, hung out with my housemates. we talked to Ayaka quite a bit, which was nice. I took a nap, and then around 10 we went to get groceries for a potluck at Lucía (professor of Contempory México)'s house. I got stuff for macaroni salad, and I made it that night.

Friday morning, i got up, and headed to the Migration office in Polanco, to pick up my visa. It was a bit of a long process, but I eventually got it. And then I took the metro to go to a kosher market I had read online had tofutti products. Yay! I found tofutti cream cheese, sour cream, and cheese. As well as vegan ravioli and some other yummy things. I got stuff to make chocolate cheesecake. Around 4/4:30, Aleshia, Alejandro, Rachel, Marijane, and I headed to Lucía's, picking up flowers for her on the way. It was a long taxi ride, since there was a lot of traffic, but because of all the rain and stuff we were carrying, it was probably better than taking the metro, train, and then a taxi.

It was a really fun gathering. The five of us kind of took over Lucía's kitchen for a while, and she ran around helping us get utensils and other things we needed. Then we talked and ate for quite a while. We got there around six and probably didn't leave until midnight. Aleshia brought a delicious lentil soup and made banana bread there. Rachel made a yummy broccoli, bell pepper, and nut dish, Marijane and Alejandro brought crackers, wine, and cheese, and Lucía made a tortilla, meat, cheese, and salsa dish, and then some portabello mushrooms for me. It was a feast! We cleaned up, and had a great time overall. People like my cheesecake, but I think that the macaroni salad didn't turn out that great.

Then we took a taxi back to the apartment complex. It was pouring when we got out, so we all ran to our respective places. Ale, Rachel and i stayed up for a while, talking. Quite fun. Then I went to bed around 3 and woke up at 10:30, got water, and then slept until 1. I wasn't willing to get up earlier than that since I've been so behind on sleep.

1 comment:

Dawn said...

Did the professor leave the conference to do your class? The party sounds fun and fun to cook together.