Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Sabes todo de los EEUU, no?

I woke up and got to reading. After I read a sufficient amount, I got online. Paulo emailed me some Queer Theory stuff, which was really exciting! There's an author who lives in Spain and Paris, named Beatriz Preciado, and their stuff it really interesting and gets me really excited. So far I've only read an interview, but I have access to a book of theirs that seems AMAZING!!! Then i talked to my parents for a while on the phone, before grabbing my almost dry clothes off the roof and heading to school.

When i got to class, the seats I normally sit in were taken, since the whole class has another class in the same classroom right before the one I have with them. I asked Linda which seats were open, and then sat down. Much of the class was lecture, but the professor said something about Obama at one point, and then checked in with me to see if it was correct. Luckily it was just when he had been elected, which was something I could answer. The prof also brought up that in Morela (if I remember correctly), that people had been criminalized for sleeping on the street, but then a bunch of associations protested, and the decrees were eventually removed. She said a similar thing happened in Tennessee, but there wasn't as much as an uproar about it, which she attributed to it being pretty conservative (but of course the same thing happened in the "liberal paradise" of Santa Cruz). The discussion was pretty interesting, dealing with postcoloniality, homogenization, and positionailty, as well as much more, specifically thinking about Latin America. At one point, the prof said said that there was a huge church of Guadalupe in New York, and then asked me if she was correct. I had no idea, having only ever been in NY for a few days before I started high school, but José said yes. He had told me last week that he was in NY for a UN conference.

After class, someone from class came up to me and started talking to me. His name is Pedro. We were both walking home (but lots of people take the metro, since most people don't live right near-by the university), so we continued talking. He's actually from México State (which is north of Mexico City), but the two hour commute was too much, so he's been living with a sibling in Coyoacán for the last week. He talked about how he switched in high school from wanting to study history, to anthropology, and then to the Desarrollo y Gestión Interculturales (I don't really know how to translate that, sicne I'm still not fully understanding what "gestión"means...and of course that's the topic of one of the papers due on Thursday. It seems like it's just a really complicated term that doesn't have an easy translation in english, but the rest of it is "Intercultural development and "gestión."). And we talked about how places are seen as homogenized, and regional differences. Plus, we talked about how language classes in HS aren't necessarily designed in a really useful way. He asked if I'd be willing to help him in his English class, when I had time, and so now he has my contact info for when he needs help. I got Lisa's email address in class, so that I can get help finding the class's website.

After I got home and rested for a bit, the power went out, so I didn't end up reading. Alejandro and Ana ended up coming over, and we and Ale hung out for a while. Eventually the power came back on. And I'm planning on finishing the reading in the morning. Almost done with Marx, yay!

1 comment:

Dawn said...

Yay for dryish clothes! We definitely did not see all of New York. It seems fun to help someone with English, I think.