Monday, July 27, 2009

La UNAM!

So in my Spanish class today we had to come up with hypothetical questions. I wasn't comfortable with coming up with any. lol. Again. I wonder how this will affect my participation. I was asked two questions. We were supposed to make them funny and direct them towards a specific person. SO I was asked what I would do if I were expelled from UCSC (answer: continue studying what interested me), and if I would have sex with a sumo wrestler if I were paid a million dollars (answer: I don't know). Some of the questions were funny, but I could not think of anything that wouldn't bug me to say. I almost wrote "If you had to, would you choose to watch all of John Wayne or ______'s films," but I couldn't think of anyone equally as bad to put. The only name I could come up with that people seem to be polarized on was Woody Allen, but I wanted someone that I would not enjoy.

At lunch i did some homework, and then talked to some people. Contemporary México was interesting, and afterwards, I went to a bookstore nearby to buy a magazine called El Debate Feminista (I think you should be able to figure out what that means without me translating). I had to ask several people, because in fact it's really much more like a book, so I hadn't seen it.

Then I met Rebecca at our apartment, and we headed to UNAM to go to the library, and hopefully check out books related to our research papers. Turns out we need a lot more documentation to get a library card. And so we could only look at books and photocopy some parts. And turns out that any books I found in the catalog online weren't in the library...I'm not sure what that means; I didn't get the impression that they were checked out. They should have been in the section that I spend most of my time in at UCSC (the books are categorized in the same way, a system I've never fully understood).

UNAM was really amazing, and it was really exciting to be there for the first time!! Of course, in passing th Facultad de Filosofía y Letras (kind of like humanities), I regretted not applying. I'm hopefully going to talk to the EAP director tomorrow, and see if I can somehow last minute apply. But the building was covered with banners from protests. It was really amazing. I hope to take pictures of it. Our professor for the class about México told us that it's technically illegal for us to participate in protests...

Then I had to rush off to make it to a counseling appointment. I went to an ATM and then walked and made it just in time. (of course, I was terrified i would be late the entire half hour walk). Usually it's in English, and I think I've found that a bit frustrating. This time, I asked if I could try to speak in Spanish, to help me improve my skills. It worked out really well. I used a few English words a few time, and she had to explain a few things, but I felt like I was able to express myself pretty well. And it seemed liek she talked more, perhaps she is ore comfortable in Spanish.

Walking back, I saw the vegetarian restaurant over there! It was closed, but I'm sure it won't be sometimes. Now I know of two near me that I've never seen open.

Then I went to Mega, which is a super market. I was able to find a lot of cool things there! I got some cookies, and then mints I ate constantly in Guatemala, and a pineapple. And then lots of food stuffs (yes, the others are too...) some mini pizza crusts that you can cook in a frying pan, falafels, and much more. And they had some eco bags that didn't have the name of the store on them, so I bought one along with some more tupperware which will come in handy. It was a positive shopping experience. I think it may have been useful to go alone and get a cart, so that I felt like I could take all the time I needed to make decisions.

I came home starving, and heated up some nopales with rice onion and black beans, and I made a salad, of which there's left overs for a meal tomorrow. It sounds like we'll get sushi at lunch, but we're having a make up class in the afternoon with an hour break in between, so i might want to eat something then. We were going to go back to the place we're doing our project on, but e had forgotten about the make-up class. Maybe wednesday. And i need to get ready for that presentation...

Well, back to homework. I've wasted too much time online calling my parents every half-hour. Today has been a pretty good day, although I was kind of upset at the beginning of the lunch break. And I've been listening to some delightful music in the last hour.

1 comment:

Dawn said...

Sorry you couldn't reach us that day. I'm glad the University seems neat. That's really interesting that you could do counseling in Spanish- Incredible really! And good practice I'm sure. I can see where shopping by yourself is more calm- not worrying about who might want to get going.