We didn’t have an alarm last night, so we hoped we would wake up in time for the 9am breakfast. Of course, I woke up at 5am, so there was really nothing to worry about. Breakfast was good. I had corn flakes with banana, as was my usual breakfast in Guatemala. I spent my extra time figurín out the maps, and I was fináis able to figure it out.
Then our land lady (Norma) came and drove us to our apartment. But on the way she showed us the route to both Casa de California (where most of the EAP specific stuff is…like the language program that starts Monday. To the left is UNAM. Of course there’s more to it, but yeah. Then she showed us the apartment (departamento). It’s in a big complex with maybe 40 buildings? And each floor has maybe 4 apartments. One girl is already here. She’s from Japan. Then there’s the three of us from the Ucs. I chose the smallest bedroom because it seemed the easiest. We can’t put pictures Or photos on the walls with pus pins, but I found a nail and put some thread through my two papers of pictres and hung them from the nail. I hope that’s OK. Señor Martín will come once a week and clean the aparment.
Then we unpacked and after a bit headed to Casa de California for lunch and an orientación (at 2). It was a nice walk though a park, and we kind of got lost on the way, but figured it out. Lunch was delicious. I had salad, beans, rice, and a vegetable mix. They had delicious spices. The orientación was mostly looking over the packet they gave us this morning. And it also included more información.
Six of us students went to buy cell phones together, and all exchanged numbers. It was right next to a bank where I tried to exchange US dollars, but could’n’t because I didn’t have my pass Port. So Ko Exchange it for me, which was very nice. All six of us live in apartments, though not necessarily next to each other.
Then we returned and I rested from all the Hualqui and then went to the corner store. There are two Walmarts Nervi, which is where all my housemates shopped. I wanted to avoid Walmart but I don’t know if it’s really possible without traveling long distances or only eating beans rice and spaghetti without much variety.
After my housemates returned, they decided to drink a bottle of wine together they had bought. They invited me to join them and not drink, but I’ve been Stealing away to type this. Perhaps not the best idea, but I am mostly just listening anyway. I speak Spanish horribly, but I can understand. And Ayaka (from Japan) doesn’t speak English. Which is probably good because that way we’ll all get more Spanish practice.
Tomorrow we have a Spanish Placement test. And we got our reader for our class México Contemporaneous (?) which means contemporary Mexico. We’re taking that and Spanish this month, and then classes begin at UNAM.
Well, I’ll go hang out with my housemates some more.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment