Saturday, July 25, 2009

Zona Rosa

Because the other Spanish class heard about the apple cake we got, today both classes shared some cookies. Then I went with some friends to a taco stand. I didn't get anything, but I've been bringing peanut butter sandwiches with me to eat, so I can hang out with my friends even if they go somewhere w/o vegan options, and then I'm not overly hungry.

Ale, Ana, and Francisco had their presentation in Contemporary Mexico, and they did a good job. As usual, we ran of of time to talk about everything we were supposed to. Probably because of people's questions and stuff, but it's always interesting.

After school, Rachel, Aleshia and I went to the store. They decided to make a meal together at our house, and I was getting stuff to make my tofu with. We came back an hung out with Rebecca and ate, and then Rebecca and Rachel headed to Michoacan with some other friends. My tofu was quite good, I used teriyaki sauce that had garlic, and added a chili, lime, and salt seasoning. And then of course had it with veggies, rice, and mushrooms. I have extra of everything, so I think I'll make it for lunch today.

I was kind of tired after all of that, so I ended up taking a nap, and then Ale knocked on my door when it was raining pretty hard.Apparently the power had gone out and she was a bit freaked out with all the lightning and such. Then she and i headed over to a friend's place in the apartment complex, where a lot of us (Ana, Miguel, Mary-Jane, Alejandro, Linda, Leti, Rosalinda, Mac, Aleshia, and I) were meeting to head out. It was pouring, and while trying to walk to the metro, we had to cross almost streams of water in the street. My shoes and socks got soaked. Luckily the Metro was dry, and we headed to Garibaldi, where there are supposed to be lots of Mariachi's playing. It had stopped raining, or we left the rain in the south of the city. We ate at a restaurant there, and I had an orange soda with some tortillas. There were several salsas on the table, so that was pretty satisfying after my big lunch. Mac paid a group to play and sing for us, and a lot of people joined in on the songs they knew.

Then we decided we didn't really want to stick around there, and wanted to go to an anrthro or a club, but we weren't certain where. We ended up going to the Zona Rosa on the metro. It was the first time I had seen so many white people get off the metro, probably because it's the more touristy section of the city (pretty close to downtown). We were able to find the Zona Rosa from the metro (Aleshia is really good as asking for directions), and we looked around for a place to go to. Lots of people came up to us and recommended places, I get the impression that they get paid fro bringing people, since they offered to pay part of our cover.

We ended up going to one where we didn't have to pay a cover, and sat down. They ordered this beer that comes in a huge container, that operates like a tap, so that people can share it. I guess kind of like pitchers but much longer, and it has huge billiard-ball like thing at the bottom. I ended up getting a lemonade.

There was a live band there, and so that was cool. They had at least one trumpet and trombone, and guitars and such, and played some popular music. There was also a DJ so there was other music in between the sets. It was fun, and we all danced a fair amount. Some random guys came up to me and started talking to me. I tried to be polite but also not say anything I didn't want to say. My lack of Spanish ability is only accentuated in clubs with loud music, so it wasn't a really deep conversation. Apparently they worked for the government and one said that there was a lot of regulations about women's rights (after I told him I was a feminist studies major).

We stayed there until almost three in the morning, and I had recognized many songs, but just before we left, they played "Man, I feel like A Woman"by Shania Twain, that reminded me of 92.7 in Sonora. lol.

We had heard that the metrobus runs all night, and planned to take that south to near the school, and then take two taxis to our apartments (Everyone there except Mary Jane lives in either our apartment complex or the one across the street). However, the metrobus was closed, as far as we could tell, so we ended up taking two taxis all the way back. Someone said it was important that we only speak in Spanish, and since my accent is recognizable as from the U.S., I didn't talk. But everyone was pretty tired, so we were all silent, and some people fell asleep. It was a fun day, and luckily people weren't smoking in the club, so I was able to breathe!

We got home and I went to bed. I'm not sure what I'm going to do today. Rosalinda came over and asked us if we wanted to go somewhere with her, but I've forgotten where. Both Ale and I said we should probably stay home and rest/do homework. I really need to work on that 8-12 page paper. But my procrastination might prevent some of that. It sounds like Aleshia might want to a play or something tonight, so I might see if I can go along. Or hang out with someone else. I just don't have a lot of people's numbers and don't like making phone calls.

1 comment:

Dawn said...

This was a very full day! It sounds like fun listening to music and eating together.