Friday, July 10, 2009

Unas Entrevistas, una exploración, y Comida

We had placement exams today. We had to write about the death penalty. It wasn't terrible for me, but I know I made mistakes. Then we had to do oral interviews with the Spanish teachers. This took a lot of time so everyone just hung out around a table talking and waiting.

People cut in line, so I was one of the last to do the oral exam. Pretty quickly they realized that I have a lot to learn. One of them asked me if there were the same programs in Chile and Spain, and I didn't understand, so she said it more slowly. The problem wasn't that I didn't understand the Spanish, but that I didn't understand the question.

Some people waited for everyone to finish (including my housemates) so we could all go eat together. People decided to go to some kind of street venders, and I wasn't really comfortable with that, especially because it didn't seem like there was a lot that was vegan. But when I'm with other people I don't speak up about my needs, so I eventually returned home online and did some more looking stuff up about D.F.

I found two restaurants with vegan options online that were less than a mile away from my apartment and on the same 3 block street, so I decided to walk there. It was a really nice walk, and although it started raining, it was nice to walk by myself, deciding exactly how and where I was going. It was my first time walking alone here. The street the restaurants were supposed to be on was really cool. I found one but it was closed even though its hours said it should be open (perhaps because it was near UNAM which is completely closed until closer to the start of the semester).

On the walk home I decided I should go to the walmart, since it was on the way, and a needed a greater variety of food. Luckily, on my way, I was able to laminate my UNAM id card and I found another grocery store to go to. It might be owned by Walmart, but i don't know for sure. I got quite a bit of food and they have a lot of things I like there.

I came home and made "Quesadillas" with guacamole instead of cheese, and of course apple. Rebecca had some and said the guacamole was really good. Aleshia made rice and corn, and we all had some and watched some U.S. TV with Spanish subtitles. The they got ready to go to a club that they invited me to. I decided to stay at home. I think I need to do things more like multiple player solitaire and cooking with friends for social interaction, but I don't know if that will happen.

Aleshia and Rebecca rode the subway today, and said it was pretty easy, so I might try that sometime. There's a store that will take a lot of travel to get to, but it might have some more vegan things.

I wish our oven worked, because I'd love to make a cake tomorrow. I'm seriously considering getting a toaster over to use instead. Rebecca didn't seem too thrilled about that idea because we already have very little kitchen space, but maybe i could keep it in my room or something? I still need to figure out a lot more before I can really decide. 'Till then, I guess I could try microwaving cakes....I'd also really like a filter, because having to buy bottles of water and feel regretful whenever I use them doesn't seem to be the best plan of action. But I'd have to run it by my housemates first, and perhaps the landlord.

I started soaking some garbanzo beans tonight. We only have 4 tupperware, so cooking will be a bit difficult, but oh well. Maybe it will prevent me from having rotting leftovers. We don't have mixing bowls so I used a pot to make the guacamole.

(I just wrote in my personal journal in Spanish, so this was a bit confusing to write. lol)

No comments: