

I had to get up quite early this morning to make it to school in time for the field trip. I waited for my housemates for a bit, but

then was too stressed about being late, so I left without them. The bus was late, but when we all got on, it took quite a while to get to our destination, which is to the North of the city. It was quite impressive.


First we had to either show our UNAM IDs or pay for a ticket, and then we got to a location where people were selling hats (we were advised to buy one; I didn't because of my indecision) and cameras, and other touristy things. Then after walking through a building, we began to see the ruins. The guide that came along with us told us that people had made this city, and it had been a huge commerce zone. The Aztecs (which might be more properly called Mixtecs, I think) stumbled upon the deserted city and gave it its current name: Teotihuacán.
First we went to the plaza, which is huge, and there was a platform with quite a few stairs. Behind that was another pyramid like thing. But the thing to keep in mind is that pyramids were built to be like mountains. Which is apparent when one looks at el Pirámide del sol and the mountain behind it.

We climbed up this pyramid, and it was a bit frightening, especially thinking about falling down (of course I'm not afr
aid of heights ;) ). There was a huge line to climb up it and our guide shared a lot of interesting facts in line, and throughout the day. The exposed rocks we see now were not what how the city looked when it was





inhabited. A coating was put over it in an intensive process that included paint. The older it was, the more colorful it



was, as the styles changed over time. In fact, pyramids were added onto again and again, covering up the previous layers which ended up preserving some of the paint. So we went and looked at some other parts of this city, and then we went to lunch/dinner in a fancy restaurant in a cave. There were so many appetizers, and when we arrived we each had either a lemonade or an orange juice already at our place. The only gave menus to one side of the long table, so by the time the waiter came, neither me or the person next to me had decided what to get. So the person next to me said we weren't ready, but then it seemed the waiters forgot about us. Luckily we were able to order, and I ordered a spinach salad that had some other yummy leafy greens, and grilled pineapple for dessert. It was fancy and delicious.
Then there was a long bus ride home and most everyone slept. I woke up to it raining and got really worried about my clothes drying on the roof. Luckily it was raining in the north of the city, so it wasn't raining here when we got home. I just ate some delicious beans and rice that Aleshia made. And now I need a lot of sleep to help get through this sun burn and because class is tomorrw. I have to go to the bank and pay for my isa thing, and then head off to school, where I don't know what I'm bringing for homework...
2 comments:
sorry for the picture placement. I wish I could just click insert picture and have it where the mouse was, but that's not how it works...
Wow that is an interesting place! It does look like a mountain. Interesting that they kept covering it up. I can see where the stairs would be tricky: nothing to hold onto, and looking all the time at the bottom.
Post a Comment